Due to few communications with the outside world, Tibet keeps its own strong culture which is different from other parts of China. There are some tips for tourists travelling in Tibet to help to be aware of some cultural differences.
1. There are many old houses in eastern City with low roofs and doors, e.g. the Post Office at eastern end of South Barkhor Street. Be attention not to hit your head when entering these houses.
2. It is warm when walking on the street, but it would be cooler when staying in the shadow or in the house. Please bring with you a coat wherever you go.
3. Walk clockwise around the Barkhor Street, especially during the rush hour of pilgrimage from 9 am to 6 pm.
4. It's impolite to enter some places near JokhangTemple. Please ask permit with your body language if they cann't understand English first before approaching.
5. No killing in the present of Tibetan people, including a fly.
6. There are many beggars in the street. If you decide to donate, look around first to avoid be surrounded by crowds of beggars later. If you don't wish to give them a coin, just walk away and no one will complain you.When you can't get rid of them, reiterate "Ming du", which means "no" in Tibetan language.
7. Ask permission first before taking pictures of other people in the Barkhor areas. Sometimes they will ask you for money but most of time it is ok to give them a little gift.
8. Take care of the dog when you are walking in the local residential areas.
9. There are many WCs in Lhasa. You have to pay 0.2 Yuan entrance fee and 0.8 Yuan for tissue if you need one.
10. There are many Shops for Showering in Lhasa.Price varies from 3 to 5 Yuan per person.
11. There are many Internet Cafes around the Barkhor Areas. Price varies from 5 to 10 Yuan per room.
12. If you are interested in collecting coins, you can find various patterns of coins of major countries exhibited in PotalaPalace.
Tour Partner Wanted
On July 17th, we have a join-in tour for Lhasa-Shigatse-E.B.C-Zhangmu 8 day tour, price is USD699/p.p, if you have interest, please contact us!
1.July 1: Tibet Museum opens to public for free
2. All the train tickets to Lhasa become very hot now!But we could arrange train tour to Lhasa 10 days in advance.
We arrived back in Beijing. Tibet and its people are very beautiful and we will recommend it to all our friends. Our trip was organized very well, so we would like to thank you again for all your help and good work! We liked the hotels where we stayed, and we enjoyed everything we did and saw. Everyone we met was very friendly, kind and helpful.